- Harmonics are the by-products of modern day power-electronics.
- They are created by non-linear loads that draw current in abrupt pulses and generate bad current.
Equipments that generate Harmonics
- Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) - Motors
- Welding Machines
- Equipment with Adjustable Speed Drives
- Conveyor Systems
- Equipment using SMPS
- Battery chargers
- UPS Personal Computer
- Medical Equipments
Symptoms of Harmonics
- Overheating in Neutral conductors / Transformers
- Nuisance tripping of circuit breakers
- Computer malfunctions
- Current surges damaging capacitors and fuses
- Frequent Motor burning
- PLC / PCB components failure
Damage due to Harmonics
- Equipment / Production downtime.
- Replacement of Motors / Drives.
- Production scrap due to communication errors.
- Fire Accidents.
Harmonic Analysis Study
- Preliminary Harmonic Audit: Identification of improving for Power Quality at area identified at the time of site survey.
- Testing & review of harmonics distortion: Providing report to minimize risk of shock hazard, failure of electronic components in the facility.
- Data collection consists of close inspection and detailed documentation, using methods including Digital Power analyzers and actual field measurements.
- SPIPL will conduct onsite Harmonic Analysis.
- SPIPL will then analyze the data collected and prepare the audit report with the solution and submit within a period of 3 weeks.
- SPIPL will submit separate proposal (post Audit) for mitigation of Harmonics by installing harmonic suppression equipments with AMC, if required.